Tuesday, January 20, 2015

See Jane Write

01/20/2015
 2315
I joined a writing group last year, See Jane Write, but never went to any of  the events until tonight.  It was a talk about how to turn your Blog To Book, the speaker co-owner of Church St. Books & Coffee-Carrie Rollwagen was very funny & informative.  Honestly, she made me feel that self-publishing is really possible.  Especially if you are just really interested in sharing your writing & don't  necessarily want to be the next best seller.  Carrie talked about the changing attitudes of the big publishing houses, who used to snub anyone that self published.  Now it is looked at as an achievement because of huge successes like the very popular Shades of Grey series.  Also the printing technology is much better these days & the results don't look so home made.  Carrie's blog was about buying from local small businesses- for a year she bought locally & blogged her experiences.  Her book is called The Localist.    The event was held at The Nest in Avondale on 41st St. I did a quick count -22 women, in every size, age & color were at the event. Included with the ticket was a light dinner- sandwich, side and drink.  I'm on the Daniel Fast , so I requested sides only & I was very happy they accommodated me.  I chatted with the ladies around me & was really glad I decided to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment