Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Writer's Devotional & Me!

Today is Saturday 1/17/2015 and I have not opened my Writer's Devotional in almost a week.  Work & reality have kind of overwritten my earnest intentions.  I just can't do anything daily- so I promise to share anything good I run across, just not every day.  I feel better, I was really bummed about not being able to keep up.  The reality has sunk in- this writing and the writer's life is not going to be a sprint.  It is going to take time & perseverance.  And a commitment to both.

I have been reading and writing in the last week.  I finished "Monday, Monday "& it was not the ending I wanted, but it was really thematic, which showed me a little of the use of foreshadowing.

Reading-
Right now I am reading two anthologies:
The Best American Essays 2013 (Non-fiction)
The Best American Short Stories 2014

They are excellent and they give you a feel of how the structure for both genres are done.  I have a lot to learn!!
I checked out three other books: they are supposed to be great
Olive Kitteridge
The Goon squad ( I think )
Thirteen days in September (NF)

"You can't make this stuff up"- non-fiction writing how to book


Writing-
I found a great couple of websites (I'll share in a second).  As a result I have made a word count/time goal for writing:
 40 minutes/ 4 days/week (more if I can)
 At least 550 words
-Today I did an outline & a very rough draft of a personal essay.
-Going to start a Short story

Two sites to share:
1) The is www.diyMFA.com .  A couple of weeks ago I said I was going to do a diy MFA- so it turns out I'm not alone.  the site is awesome with lots of resources.  MFA's are like MBA' s and are all the rage lately.  Totally unnecessary though.

2) http://seejanewritebham.com/ 
This is a local book group -they put on workshops all the time.  There is one Tuesday & I'm going.  Got to do some networking.

I am at the Hoover Library working- not sure if it's good or not- did they get rid of the quiet rules in libraries?  Keep writing- we all have something to say!!

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Keep the faith...it's happening you are writing. I'm going to check out the websites. I will not be able to attend the workshop but please bring back some good stuff. My writing today was journaling. During my quiet time with the God I really needed to hear him speak to me about where I am in life and where I want to go. I am where I suppose to be because this is where I chose to be. I'm going where I need to be as I follow his lead and don't give up the good fight of faith. It's not easy hearing from Him when everything else is drowning out his voice. So my goal today is to listen, take one step at a time and live! Hope to see you soon so we can share.

    ReplyDelete