Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Black Middle Class

01/20/2015 2000
Today brought a whirlwind- starting last night after enjoying a visit with my good friend Brenda V.:) - I went to 2nd & Charles in Hoover.  At the front of the store there are four large orange and tan rectangles, the size of an 11 x14 pictures tacked on the wall.  Each one a letter with a box beneath it: F R E E - under the second E there was a book from my Amazon wish list.  100+ Educational Strategies to teach children of color  by Dr. Jawanza Kunjufu.  I bought a few craft books- one on self-editing and another creative non-fiction book. The rest where Scott O'Dell Award books, given for YA historical fiction.  Most were only $2-$3- they are the type of book I am leaning toward writing from my families roots in East Texas. 

The free book sparked an ember in me that I have buried for a while, so I got on-line and searched "the black middle class"- what I read troubled me.  I read and read, finally @ 3:00 I laid down.  Article after article chronicled the downward mobility of the black middle class-

"7 out of 10 of black kids raised in a middle class income family will experience downward mobility.  They will be worse off than their parents & end up living in worse neighborhoods.."
http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/social-mobility-memos/posts/2015/01/15-mlk-black-opportunity-reeves

That seemed impossible, until I started thinking about people I know & their kids.  Out of 5 children  my husband & his siblings- not one has a college education.  James has a vocational certificate for cosmetology.  Their father was a Lt. Colonel in the USAF & has a JD.  Their mom was a SAHM. In my own family 5 out of 6 kids has a BA or BS & the 6th is an Electrician Journeyman. Why the disparities & what are we going to do?  It feels like my problem too.

3 comments:

  1. Encouraging each other as we move to the next season of our lives and accomplishing the plan God has for us is a must! I enjoyed our visit and like you there are things burning in my heart just like it has burned over the years to walk in the direction I'm being called. Your visit to 2nd & Charles was your divine appointment. Finding books on what you are so passionate about was no mistake. It was a confirmation you are on the write track. :)! 20 My devotion today confirmed our prayer, Ephesians 3:20-21- Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Let's keep going. I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda- especially for the scripture. What comes to my heart & mind is when the angel spoke to the church of Sardis- & told them to "strengthen that which remains". Concentrating on the 30% & making that number 35,40,50, 60 etc.-% of middle class black kids experiencing upward mobility!!! I am going to start a blog to share information & strategies for parents- I think interviews with parents too- will you be my first? -lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure will be your first. It will be fun!

    ReplyDelete